The applicant (i.e., host researcher) may have to deal with problematic situations and serve as an intermediary between the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing and the resident depending on the nature of the problem. Host researchers should explain and discuss this thoroughly with prospective residents before submitting an application.

The following are examples in which Tokyo Tech requested applicants to take responsibility for damage caused by residents and deal with emergencies.

*Please note that all the examples below occurred at the International House. 


Damage caused by a resident inadvertently or intentionally, including fire damage

A fire, caused by a resident's negligence, damaged an air conditioning unit and an outside wall. The air conditioning unit had to be replaced and the wall needed to be repaired. As the resident was unable to pay, we consulted the applicant.

Note: Tokyo Tech will not pay for damage caused by a resident's negligence or error, and such instances are not covered by insurance. As such, residents must bear the cost of repair.

Sudden departure from Japan due to personal reasons, earthquake, etc.

A resident left Japan without notifying the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing and left belongings in the room. We requested the applicant to make arrangements to clean the room and dispose of items left behind. In addition, we requested the applicant to complete administrative procedures for changing the resident's period of stay, otherwise the facilities charges would continue to be incurred based on the Notification of Permission for Residence previously issued to the resident.

Delayed payment of facilities charges

When there is an issue related to delayed payments, the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing Office may notify the applicant as well as the resident.

Arrangements in medical and other emergencies

Should residents (including family members) become injured or ill, 80th Anniversary Hall Housing staff will provide first aid and information about medical facilities. However, the applicant will be responsible for accompanying the resident to hospital and communicating with hospital staff if necessary.

Trouble between 80th Anniversary Hall Housing residents or on campus

Applicants will be notified and asked to intervene when residents become involved in disputes with other residents and when an incident involving a resident on campus has been reported to the Institute, the management center or the police.

Loss of keys or property

When moving out, residents must return all room property and keys. Should a resident move out without returning 80th Anniversary Hall Housing property, the applicant will be expected to serve as the contact person and be responsible for the retrieval of items. If 80th Anniversary Hall Housing property cannot be retrieved, the applicant may be asked to keep in contact with the former resident and persuade them to return the property.

Note: For security reasons, applicants are expected to assume responsibility for returning keys.

Sudden cancellation of stay due to a schedule change without due consideration

The 80th Anniversary Hall Housing's reservation (including changes and cancellations) and payment rules are publicly available. The first bill issued by the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing before a person moves into the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing or cancellation fee must be paid by that person even if they change their plan and do not come to Japan. In such cases, we may ask the applicant to serve as an intermediary between that person and the 80th Anniversary Hall Housing.

Note: The fee indicated in the first bill depends on the assigned unit, specified period of stay, and move-in date.

modified:May 30, 2019