Tokyo International Exchange Center
Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC) is a residence in Odaiba district mainly for students, which also accepts researchers when there is availability.
The following rent amounts and eligibility requirements are those specific to researchers.
- Single Rooms
(Type A) 62,000 yen per month
(Type B) 78,000 yen per month
- Couple/Family Rooms
(Type C) 112,000 yen per month
(Type D) 129,500 yen per month
- 3 minutes walk from Fune-no-Kagakukan station on Yurikamome line
- 15 minutes walk from Tokyo Teleport station on Rinkai line
- 30 minutes by train to Ookayama
- 75 minutes by train to Suzukakedai
Those who can currently apply through Tokyo Institute of Technology must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- Affiliated with Tokyo Institute of Technology and able to commute from TIEC
- Holding a residence status of “Professor”, “Research”, or “Cultural Activities”
- Meeting or expected to meet the following status when moving in:
PhD obtained within the past 8 years, who are not full-time employees of research institutions in Japan
Note: Excludes full-time employees affiliated with research institutes within Japan or
those who are taking/planning to take leave.
FY2023 Application for Residence in the Tokyo International Exchange Center for Researchers
Published: January 4, 2023
The Tokyo International Exchange Center (TIEC) is a residence in Odaiba district mainly for students that also accepts researchers when there is availability.
■ Application Procedure
Applications may only be submitted through university personnel. International and Japanese researchers at Tokyo Tech who meet requirements can apply for a room through the International Affairs Division of the Research Promotion Department. Please first contact the division by email (email@example.com), and submit the required documents.
- FY 2023 Application Guidelines for Researchers, etc.(*Japanese version only)
- Reference: Residence Hall Entrance Guide(＊English web page)
- Room layout(*Japanese and English)
- Reference: JASSO Facility Guide(＊English web page)
■ Application Documents
- Form 1-3 “東京国際交流館 入居申請書(APPLICATION FOR TOKYO INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE CENTER)”
- Form14-1 “東京国際交流館 入居申請誓約書(APPLICATION FOR TOKYO INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE CENTER)”
- Form3 “東京国際交流館における交流活動実施・参加計画書(The proposal for implementation of participation in exchange activities at Tokyo International Exchange Center)”
Other required documents as specified in the application guidelines.
■ Application Deadlines (Tokyo Tech deadlines are set two weeks prior to the JASSO official deadlines)
■ Where to Submit Application Documents
Please upload relevant files to the link below:
■ Initial Contact by Email
To start the procedure, please provide us with the following details for the applicant by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Subject line: “TIEC Residence Application (and applicant’s name)”
• Send applicant’s (1) affiliation, (2) name, (3) status at Tokyo Tech, (4) contract period at Tokyo Tech, (5) desired period of residence, (6) expected number of residents, and (7) expected submission date of application documents.
■ JASSO Official Website
■ Application for Current Students
Students who wish to apply can do so through the Student Support Division, Student Services Department.
Please refer to the page below.